February 9, 2017

Name Game

From the minute we found out we were having a girl, we knew we were in trouble in the name department. We have agreed on one girl name in the past- and that was Ruby. And well since Ruby 2 wasn't a viable option, we had to start from scratch with our name list.

Reese and I talked about names for awhile, but then we stopped. We were making no progress with our list, and we couldn't seem to find one we both loved. I was content with 3 names that we kind of liked on the list- at least we would have something to pull from when we had her unless we found something different.

Reese loves the name Sophia- and I do too.. but I can't get over how popular it was. But Reese could. When people asked what we were naming her, I would always say we have no idea, but apparently when I wasn't around- Reese would tell them Sophia.

One day when I was at Chick-fil-a (it's where the cool moms go) I heard a mom call for her daughter- and her name was Hazel. I had read the name Hazel on baby name lists and had really liked it- but I was hesitant to tell Reese. But when I heard it at Chick-fil-a, I knew it was the name of the sweet little babe in my belly. Something just clicked.


  I finally worked myself up to telling Reese- I really didn't want him to shoot it down, because I love loved it. 

When I told him, he said he would think on it and let me know. And he liked it but nothing trumped Sophia for him. So I just started to think I was going to have to give in and let Sophia win.

A few days before having her, I rolled over to Reese in bed and said "I don't want to talk about baby names because I'm tired, but I need to know you will be open to more than Sophia." And when he told me yes, I could sleep peacefully that night.

The night before we had her we drove out to Reese's parents for a family dinner. On the way out there Reese said to  me "so, I guess it's probably time to decide a name."

So we each told what our top name on the list was- mine being Hazel, and his Sophia.

We took a vote at dinner that night (Reese's idea)  and to our surprise- Hazel won by a landslide!

I think that little vote helped Reese to see how freaking cute the name Hazel was. But we were still undecided. And that stressed me out a little bit, especially since every nurse that came in while I was in labor asked me what the name of our baby was... and then tried to name her for us (oh so helpful lol)

Reese knew when he saw her for the first time, that she was a Hazel. In fact, he was the one who named her, mostly because I was drugged up and had double vision haha.

So I knew long before he did what her name was, and when she was born- he knew I was right :) And now we both keep telling each other how much we love her name- it fits our sweet baby perfectly.

                                                        Little Hazel Arlene Hawker

And as for her middle name- that one is extra special to me. (and to Reese too of course.)

Arlene is after my great grandma- who actually died last February at 100 years old. She was a remarkable woman. She served many missions for the LDS church, she was an underwater welder during the war, had a current temple recommend all of her life-even when she was 100, and was always learning new things and helping everyone around her. She is a true role model, and
I feel honored that my daughter can carry her name on. And I can't wait to teach Hazel all about her.

So that's the story of how we named our second daughter, Hazel Arlene :)



No comments:

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.