February 25, 2014

Why I'm Not "Whole"

I joined a holistic moms group on FB. I was really excited to collaborate with other moms and get ideas. I lasted about 3 weeks before I left the group. I guess I am no longer or maybe was never "whole".

I think I might be the opposite of holistic. I call it- realistic. 

Why I will never be holistic- 

* disclaimer- not all holistic moms are this way, nor do I look down on them- I'm just not one of them.*

I buy tampons at the store when I get a visit from aunt Flow. I do not use reusable /washable pads. Gag me. I do not like to attract sharks or dogs thank you very much. 
I had a c-section. And no matter what they say those home birth, no epideral mothers will always look down on it. And find some reason to deem it unnecessary .

I take Ruby to the dr, she gets vaccinated. They will tell you that you poison your kid. 

They will talk about how wonderful a natural birth is and how empowering it is and you will cry to your husband about how bad it sucked to have a c-section. (Trust me, I earned my badge) 

They will talk about oils and ways to treat different things with them and I wonder if my vegetable oil in the cupboard can do that because I am clueless and those oils are expensive!

I like doctors and modern medicine, they think it's evil. 


They believe in home births, I think they are incredibly scary and risky. Plus I do not want to sit in  a pool of my birth junk. Barf. 

They don't drink pop, diet coke is my slice of heaven. 

Now don't get me wrong, I think
Some aspects of holistic parenting are really interesting an awesome. Like I enjoyed reading breast feeding tips, best car seat tips, and how to help a baby sleep tips. But I realized on a bash post about the doctor who delivered Ruby (who I loved) that I will never fit in with those "whole" mamas because I am a "half" mom- half crazy that is;) 

It all comes down to the fact that everyone has a different parenting style, and where I might make Ruby's baby food, and breastfeed but I am not a holistic mama- it's not my style. But I do what's best for Ruby because she is my world and I have  a great gift called mothers intuition that I use everyday. Just like every other mom. If you clothe diaper- great! More power to ya! But you better think the same when I put a disposable diaper on my baby- because while I might be adding to the landfills, I am saving my sanity. If I try to live up to all the expectations every different mama has, I will pull my hair out. So I am my own kind of mama. 

Stay sane mamas. Do what you have to! What do you do to stay sane everyday? 


No comments:

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.